Search this Blog

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Better safe than sorry

Jacobs blogger/blogspot users: This weekend in Boston, Von, Sharon and I were talking about all the personal information that is building up on our blogs, and it occurred to us that it might add an element of safety if we block our blogs from search engines. That way, people searching our home addresses or the names of our kids, etc., will have one additional layer of difficulty to find us.

But our blogs will still be available and shareable, without the need to grant access on a person by person basis.

If you choose to do this, here's how:

Open your blog for editing, then go to Settings -> Basic, and answer "No" to the questions "Add your blog to our listings?" and "Let search engines find your blog?"

I went ahead and did this for my blog. As much as I get a kick out of people finding my blog, I think this is a worthwhile layer of privacy.

1 comment:

Heather who? said...

Hi Alan,

I did this from the start. I'm always a little on the defense when it comes to personal information getting out to people I don't know.

It was great seeing you this week. It really meant a lot to have all of you here for such a big milestone. Thanks for loving us that way! Pass that on to the whole gang.

Love ya,
Heather