Search this Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Muscle Confusion


I’m a big fan of Muscle Confusion as a method to prevent running injuries.  I’ve always owned at least two different brands of running shoes, and alternated them to avoid repetitive motion injuries.  The different brands stressed different parts of my muscles and joints.  
A few years ago, like everyone else, I read Born to Run, and changed my running style to a more on-your-toes gait (Jody says it's more like hunched over leaning forward).  Then I took all my old running shoes that had the only problem being the outside heel worn off, and I cut off the rest of the heel with a knife.  Suddenly I had a whole new set of running shoes!  Over time, these shoes are becoming even more worn down, and are starting to come apart.  One shoe lost the whole front tread in a memorable run.  Another has a hole where my big toe sticks out, and I can’t wear that pair on wet roads anymore.


3 comments:

Sharon said...

This is a priceless post!

Don Jacobs said...

Alan, your varied interest are impressive, from running on the balls of your feet to wondering if the sumac is immune from the effects of RoundUp. I like your way of being aware of so much! Keep teaching us.

Dad

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog post, Alan! I love you! --jane