Search this Blog

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Puerto Rico Weekend

Sharon and I and Ed and Andrea had a weekend in Puerto Rico. Sharon and Andrea were at a derecho (law) conference.

We stayed in the Coqui Inn in Isla Verde, San Juan. Our "budget inn" was one step up from a youth hostel, and across a busy highway from the beach and bus stop, which we crossed on a pedestrian bridge. Some of the guests were a little noisy at night, but the place had lots of character, and the actual local neighborhood was very quaint.

I caught on to some simple Puerto Rican Spanish! Here are some sentences I learned, with authentic PR accent! They drop the ending "S" and basically smoosh everything together.

"Good Morning" -- "Bwe Di"
"Thank You" -- "Grasia"
Preamble to any statement -- "Mira... !"
Alternate preamble to any statement -- "No no no, Mira... !"
A multipurpose statement used frequently, to mean almost anything -- "Mira mira mira!"

We had fun. I enjoyed el Viejo San Juan (Old San Juan) very much.

We spent one evening with Steve Latimer, a lawyer from New Jersey who was a participant in the conference.

Here are about 150 photos. At 5 seconds per photo, looking at this album will be 12 1/2 minutes of your life that you'll never get back.

I was practicing the in-camera panorama feature of of my Olympus, and some didn't stitch very well. I left them in because they showed what I want. Just squint your eyes and pretend the stitching is seamless.

PR March 2009

No comments: